Thursday, May 31, 2012

You Can Dance If You Want To

Sorry, the title is a reference to the Men At Work song, You can Dance If You Want To. (I used to love that song.)

I tried to plan a way for Mary to do everything she was looking forward to this year before she got the fixator on but the one thing that she wouldn't be able to do would be her 1st dance recital in the middle of June. In my original conversation with Mary, she brought it up and I apologized saying I tried really hard but it was the one thing that we couldn't do before the fixator was put on. However, I remembered at the recital last year there was a girl on crutches on stage and I thought I overheard a comment that they had a girl in a wheel chair on stage before. I told Mary I would ask her teacher what was possible.


Well, she has an AWESOME teacher that is very open to making something work! She missed 2 weeks of class then I talked to the teacher to see if it was practical that Mary really could really participate in the recital and if it was fair to the teacher and other kids in the class. Her teacher said yes and seemed genuinely very excited about having Mary participate in her wheelchair!


So on Wednesday Mary went to half the class. The teacher had already prepped the kids and Mary gave a short simple explanation of what she had and the medical procedure. Just like her class at school they were very respectful. (We were all nervous because it is a very large class and we don't really know the kids.) They just had two questions:
  • how do you fit in the car, and
  • how do you sleep?
  • the teacher asked if it hurt.
Then they practiced the dance a couple of times before Mary left. A high school student will be pushing Mary in the wheel chair.


I wasn't there but both Mary and Daddy said it was a very positive experience. Whew! This was the last thing I was stressed about because I just didn't know if it was practical and how the class would handle it. Her Daddy gave just one suggestion that Mary doesn't have to be front and center the whole time. We realize the other parents would like to see their girls (and the one boy) dance.

So I guess the song is true...You Can Dance If You Want To!

No comments:

Post a Comment