Wednesday, May 23, 2012

Finding Normal in the Abnormal

It is amazing how quickly the abnormal becomes your new normal for example, how quickly you adapt to life in the hospital. But I also have been reminded it is important to find normal life within the new abnormal (life with a fixator). The world can't stop for a child in a fixator. Yes, there are definitely allowances but there still must be chores, expected behavior, etc.

My younger daughter still struggles with all the attention Mary gets. This is TOTALLY normal. I understand it and and I expected it. We try to make sure life isn't all about Mary while still of course taking care of Mary's new needs. Ironically, I am sure this is totally similar to how the older child (Mary) felt when the new baby came along. The blessing is that my little one is so wise and in tune with her feelings and able to communicate them that she talks to me about it all. YEAH!!!

As I have said, Mary is doing so great with her new world. Her pain tolerance still amazes me. She is still building back her stamina and appetite. Her only struggles so far are 1) sleeping since she normally sleeps on her stomach and now she can only sleep on her back and 2) the sadness about the things she can't do or play that she used to be able to do and play. The good news is that in approximately 2-3 months Mary will get the piece on her foot and the piece on her thigh off. Thankfully those are the two pieces that bug her. When those two pieces are off her world will be more normal than not as far as what she can and can't do!!!

Mary has no shame about her fixator and I would love for that to continue but I wouldn't be surprised if it doesn't. We have found it's best to just let people we know look at the fixator (if they are interested) vs. force them to try to steal glances. We realize it's not for everyone- lots of wires and thick struts that take some getting used to. If you don't like needles it's probably best not to look. My hubby and I realized when you go to Children's Hospital you always see a poor child with some challenge that breaks your heart and now our daughter is one of those kids to other people because she has this scary contraption on her leg. 

She is going to be so strong mentally and physically after all of this. I felt her arms today and they are already noticeably stronger from the walker, and from moving with her upper body doing most of the work.
Playing catch 12 days after getting the fixator on

No comments:

Post a Comment