Monday, June 11, 2012

Infection or sore from loose hardware???

We are going to our first unplanned doctors appointment tomorrow. During Mary's shower and pin site cleaning on Sunday Daddy noticed the piece that had the loose nut and screw was now sliding loose up and down the pins and the top ring wiggled. The pins themselves seemed securing in place in the bone. He tightened it up again but her thigh was more sensitive than normal and had some thicker leakage. We cleaned it a second time. The before and after pictures are below- you may not want to look. I had trouble looking myself and I am sure it's a mild case.

We called Dr. Scott and will see him Tuesday morning. On Monday, Mary was feeling fine but her leg was more sensitive and the cleaning was more painful. She says her muscle feels bruised and by the end of the night was wanting to move it less and less. For example, she asked me to help her up the stairs like we used to have to do. I think her quad is swollen. We aren't sure if the loose hardware is affecting her or if it's her first infection...




4 comments:

  1. Best to check with the doctor, just in case! But, that's kind of how mine near the top looked for most of the time; a lot of sticky yellowish drainage (and sometimes blood). It was because there was more movement there, which also caused more soreness. The infection was extremely red and got worse really fast.
    Good luck tomorrow - hope all goes well!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Forgot to add, since there was a lot of drainage from my top pins, I found it helpful to keep gauze on them. If I didn't it would drip down my leg and it was really gross lol.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Miranda. Mary LOVES how similar your situation was to hers. You can truly relate. She hates those top two pins because of the movement and soreness. I really think I will be more happy when the top ring on her thigh and her foot piece come off after lengthening is over vs. getting the whole thing off.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The pins in muscle are so annoying. I sometimes found that warm baths helped with soreness. The foot piece is awful too, I absolutely hated it and was so glad that I didn't require one for my second round of lengthening. It's really uncomfortable and frustrating to not be able to move your foot! It feels SO GOOD to get the foot piece off!

    ReplyDelete