Wednesday, June 20, 2012

Goals

Last night Mary was up every 1 to 2 hours but tonight she at least fell asleep MUCH easier.

My hubby said today was a bell curve: hard in the morning, better in the middle of the day and hard again this evening even though we proactively gave her medicine throughout the day. He said it was so nice when he could get her to smile again.

When I came home from work she was uncomfortable again. When she is uncomfortable she continually moves around trying to find a position that feels better. She had a couple of moments of frustration with me about the immobilization of her knee. I can't do anything but agree with her. I did try to remind her we will figure out how to work with it just like last time. (She was already figuring out a way to go to the bathroom solo as long as it was going to be quick.) I said the immobilization isn't going to go away anytime soon BUT the soreness will. (It better!)

I have to say it was really hard for me to remember everything I have to help her with again. It's such a change!

We think it's important to keep her leg moving or it will be very uncomfortable. Once again it's hard for her to lift her toes straight. Just yesterday morning it was no problem for her to lift them straight...

The positives of the new situation are:
  • We no longer have to nag her about keeping her leg straight,
  • We don't have to do the painful PT of pressing down on her knee cap to straighten her leg,
  • She will be able to try and walk on it
We also started thinking about what we all get when:
  1. She gets the piece off her thigh and foot, and
  2. When she gets the whole thing off

We are thinking of a park of some sort (like Sea World/Disneyland) for reaching the first goal and we have a huge list of places for the second goal. Of course the budget plays into this too unfortunately but its fun to dream. And it's OK since Mary doesn't sound up for my dream trip to Australia. :-) At the moment she is leaning towards Colonial Williamsberg.

We see Dr. Scott in approximately 3 weeks. We should be at 5 cm. and it should be a very interesting appointment. I wonder where we go from there...

No comments:

Post a Comment